By Dietitian and Nutritionist Alison Bencke
This sandwich is beautiful on a plate and good for you, too. A yogurt and a piece of cold chicken make a great, complete Crohn's friendly lunch to take to work. Remember to also take a piece of fruit for coffee break!
- Serves 1
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 1 whole-grain pita or wrap
- 1 leaf of lettuce, shredded
- 1 whole canned or cooked beet,* chopped
- 1 small cooked sweet potato, cooled
- 1/2 medium tomato, seeded—also add several chopped up dried tomatoes if tolerated
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1 ounce reduced-fat feta cheese (or 1 hard-boiled egg)
- 1 shallot, chopped (optional)
Spread hummus over pita or wrap and cover with lettuce. Place all other ingredients along one half of the wrap and roll up. Have plastic cling wrap ready to wrap it. Slice in half and pack for work.
*Beets are easy to prepare: Discard leaves and put a scrubbed bunch of small beets into a saucepan. Cover with water and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes). Press knife in to test. Drain, rub off skins under water, and refrigerate until needed.
- Nutrition per serving:
- Calories 363
- Protein 20 g
- Fat 9 g
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Fiber 10 g
- Calcium 233 mg
Go back to the recipe list
Note: these tips should not replace advice from your physician. Always check with your physician before making any changes to your eating habits.